Friday, 4 May 2012

Avengers Assemble vs. Battleship

These two explosively action packed movies both blew me away. In a collaboration of 'Transformers meets Battle L.A, in the sea' as my partner so rightly put it, Battleship was both out of this world and believable. On the other hand Avengers was everything it had promised to be, witty, powerful and immensely fun to watch.
When I first saw adverts for Battleship I was unsure about how it may pan out and whether or not I would enjoy the two hours I was about to endure. Luckily I loved it. Recently there have been too many movies where as soon as the bad guys start winning or as soon as a large brilliantly computerized monster appears they are shot down immediately and the film lacks a good fight scene and wastes the talents of such computer geek. (For example in Soloman Kane). 


Battleship and Avengers Assemble both throw this growing pain out the window and opt for epic fight scenes and returning danger. In Battleship we see the crew celebrating a victory when the largest of the invading ships suddenly crashes the party by arming itself when they only have one torpedo remaining and must make it count. In Avengers Assemble shows a huge metal snake-like beast appearing from a portal in the sky, this is quickly apprehended and I cringed until Loki (Tom Hiddleston) heard my prayers and requests his minions send the rest, at which point as you can guess lots more huge metal snake-like beasts appear!
Whilst watching Battleship I was also apprehensive of singer turned actress Rihanna. I was worried she would be very cliche and ruin the female role, however, quite surprisingly to me she was great! I feel now that perhaps I followed the crowd on this decision and assumed she would be awful despite her appearance in many videos for her songs lending her the acting experience she required.


Obviously I was outraged, being a huge fan, that Alexander Skarsgard didn't have a lengthy appearance. This was leveled by the appearance of Taylor Kitsch (John Carter). His role in this movie was priceless and so far from that of John Carter it really showed off his acting talent. Another amazing casting choice was none other than Liam Neeson, who makes any film awesome really and I would have loved to have seen more of him but that was not to be for his character. Lastly, Lieutenant Colonel Mick Canales or Gregory D.Gadson for short, played a stereotypical hero whose lost his mojo role. This has been viewed as cheesey by many but I thought the part was fitting and his cliche comments were made fun of by a science geek.


Avengers also has a cast to rival Battleship with outstanding actors such as Robert Downey Jr, Samuel L. Jackson, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth and Stellen Skarsgard. As you may have noticed I do not mention Scarlett Johansson here, this is mainly for the idea that she was supposed to have been Russian at some point, which was not a believable part of the plot. One of the biggest surprises for me was Mark Ruffalo or the Hulk. I have only seen the original televised series of the Hulk and the film starring  Eric Bana. As a child I enjoyed the T.V series but now it has aged and technology has advanced. I have never been Eric Bana's biggest fan and disliked the movie he was in, therefore I didn't watch the 2008 remake which also starred an actor of which I am not fond, Edward Norton. Mark Ruffalo has restored my love of this particular marvel character. His performance was incredible (pardon the pun).
Now, a battle of which film starred the most 'hotties'. On the one hand you have Kitsch, Skarsgard, Neeson and Rihanna and on the other you have Downey Jr, Evans, Hemsworth, Renner, Ruffalo and Johansson. Avengers is a clear winner. As for alien race I think both were excellent but if you were one of the cinema goers who stayed behind after the credits you will recall the last scene, for me the face of the assailant leading the alien race was a deal breaker. Due to the human like nature of the aliens in Battleship (which is highly believable knowing that they have come from a similar planet to Earth) it becomes one all in the battle for best film.


For sheer enjoyment and action scenes I will definitely be awarding a point to each, they were equally thrilling and both had me hooked from the beginning. For actual acting skills again both were equal in my view. The story lines were similar, alien creatures threaten Earth, band of selected few fight them and inevitably win. Therefore for story line they are also equal. Finally I feel Battleship was more believable than Avengers especially when it came to Captain America's previous preservation in an ice chamber. However, knowing that these characters started out as comics and have been developed I have to overlook this minor detail. As stand alone films they will both stay in your memory and hopefully become all time greats in years to come. To compare them is a difficult task and both threw in surprises along the way. In the end, although it pains me as I would love to see an overall winner, I will have to agree with my brain that these films were on par. I thought by writing out the good and bad points I would deduct a clear winner, I have failed to do so and will give them both what they deserve.

Avengers: *****    Battleship: *****

No comments:

Post a Comment