Stifler. That is all you really need. I realised this when speaking to friends who hadn't seen the film yet. I remembered Oz, due to his cute face and odd name. I remembered Jim who plays a key role and his wife Michelle. I also remembered Finch who famously bedded Stifler's mum. Then there was one more, what was his name. So frustrated was I that I couldn't remember I had to go on imdb.com and find out.
Kevin. He explains the lives of many in his one role. He was with a girl, she was his first love, they broke up, he moved on and got married, he goes to the reunion and meets his first love, they are still friends but he is faithful to his wife. Unfortunately this is the reality of real life. Oz gets famous and bags a model girlfriend but realises he is still in love with Heather, thankfully she feels the same. Finch lies about how awesome his life is, in truth it's just as boring but he ends up with a hot chick who used to be a geek. Then there's Jim who despite having a child and a lack of sexual contact which is overcome still makes it onto the remembered funny parts list. He and Michelle tackle real life issues and yet there is still comedy to be enjoyed.
Finally, Stifler, the one ingredient every friendship should have. He brings the memories, the laughs and the party spirit to this movie. At a crucial point in the plot they are looking over a wish list they made in their final year. Most of them are silly or time related issues, Stifler writes he wants to carry on the party with his boys. Yes he is irritating, obnoxious, crude and rude and loud but we love him for it. The best moment of the entire film is when he finally gets Finch back by sleeping with his mum. Jim's dad and Stifler's mum is another brilliant aspect of the plot and I really wanted Heather and Oz to get back together! Unfortunately Kevin and Vicky's story bored me. I didn't really care about them, they weren't funny like Jim, Michelle and Stifler, they were not soul mates like Heather and Oz and they weren't a rogue mother lover like Finch and so I conclude that I hate reality. I would rather live in a fantasy world or one where there is an eternal party! But wouldn't we all!
This film was good for a few laughs, realistic to some extent and reflected the original American Pie very well. It tied up loose ends and made room for perhaps another reunion or a new set of party loving virgins to take over. Either way watch it and see for yourself. But only the once.
3 Stars ***
No comments:
Post a Comment