Plunging into a world of mystery, adventure and curious events this story is most definitely true to it's title- peculiar. In many instances when I pick up a book I read the blurb in order to grasp the feel of the book and more importantly help my brain to decide if this is one for me. With this one, as with a select few others, I made a conscious decision not to let myself in on the story. I feel that in some cases the cover alone is enough to alert my full attention that my eyes must scan these pages and discover another world hidden within.
And so, I opened the book with no real expectations and jumped right in. Normally I would not read the prologue but after a quick scan I deduced it was imperative to the story, which I am fairly certain others are as well. Unfortunately I become greedy and turn the pages in search of the answers to fill my blank spaces. With this title I held back my unfathomable urge to devour the book pages, spine and sleeve and took my time to understand and enjoy reading. Too often have I had to re-read novels because I missed things the first time round.
I found, from the start, that I was hooked. The writing along with the images shown were just the trick to get my senses tingling. The writing style is a pleasure to digest, smooth enough to follow and flavoured enough to with hold that initial interest. This combined with the ingenious plot make for a brilliant read. Just as all books of this nature should be the suspense was held for as long as Riggs could stretch it before revealing small droplets of truth behind the mysteries.
I cared not only for the main character, Jacob, but also for his father and grandfather. I found it easy to sympathise with each despite my own gender. Some ideas in this novel may not be original but the way in which they are portrayed and expressed is extremely unique and sophisticated. I am, admittedly, a fan of historical themes in books. I prefer fantasy and do not much care for accounts of a real world gone by but love to indulge in reading of those times with a sprinkling of fairy dust and an ounce of magic.
The images strewn throughout the book only add to the riddle of it's undoing. An uneasy, 'distant memory' type feeling is unearthed from the eerie photographs. These images were right up my street, aiding my engulfment into a foreign world in the head of someone I have never met. Escapism may be a cliche when talking about books, nonetheless it's how I feel and is a feeling I am keen to embrace again soon.
Riggs finds a way of exposing the mystery and yet manages to keep the peculiar nature of people, time and places. He does not pepper the enemies with flowers and view them through rose tinted spectacles instead he places fear into the readers and allows our vivid imaginations to run rampant with chaotic ideas.
As may be obvious to you I am a great fan of this novel and cannot hope harder for a follow up. Without a doubt it has made the jump to the top of my favourites pile! An excellent choice for a first book review!
***** 5 Stars
No comments:
Post a Comment