I heard many views on this film, some that deem it stupid and brutal. Although people say this in a negative way I believe the opposite. It is outrageously laugh out loud funny, there is an element of stupidity which only benefits the characters and the humor of the film. It is also violent and bloody. I am not a fan of watching fights be it boxing, brawling or UFC but I absolutely loved this film.
Sean William Scott plays his main character Doug very well, although Doug is similar to many of his previous roles it was still a sterling performance! Alison Pill who plays horny, slut and love of Doug's life Eva reminded me of Ellen Page. Her acting style seems to have become popular in recent years and adopted by many others. Jay Baruchel also gives a horny, teenage boy performance as Doug's strange best friend. Another actor blessed with brilliant skills is Liev Schreiber who plays Doug's hero and nemesis Ross Rhea. He was born for this part and like William Scott is great at playing a certain character. For William Scott it's lovable but stupid party animal, for Schreiber it's brutal, slightly crazy warrior.
Based on a true story, Goon shows the journey of a Jewish man who feels fit only to bounce become a somebody, find his vocation, and meet the girl of his dreams. In the meantime he has numerous fights and becomes the glue to his new adopted family- his team. I am now eagerly awaiting American Pie: The Reunion with a renewed love of Stifler and have a little more insight and knowledge about the world of ice hockey. This film needed no moral, and no reason for being produced other than to be a highly entertaining, heart warming tale.
***** 4.5 Stars
No comments:
Post a Comment