All I heard about WWZ before viewing was 'nothing like the book', 'poorly made', and 'don't bother'. Unfortunately for you opinionated folks I like to make up my own mind. However, that doesn't necessarily mean I disagree. Perhaps if I'd been allowed complete darkness about WWZ I would have gone in with higher expectations. As it happened I really didn't expect much.
I believe the appropriate reaction to this film would be 'meh'. I didn't hate it, certainly not as much as I'd been led to believe I would, yet I do not intend to ever view it again.
I have recently discovered that some 3D films work far better on a smaller scale. Watching Dredd from the comfort of my sofa with my awesome 3D shades on completely surpassed the viewing experience at the cinema (which was fairly epic in itself). World War Z will never have the chance to prove it's worth as a 3D film because I shall not be purchasing or renting or borrowing or watching it ever again.
If you decided to pen a zombie movie, what would you need?
Some zombies would come in handy, a heroic main character the audience will hope survives, some victims, a journey and perhaps a reason for the rise of undead.
Oh look, you've just written every zombie movie ever made! Well done you!
It seems difficult to make zombies new or different. I Am Legend made them smarter, Shaun of the Dead made them comical and Warm Bodies made them emotional. World War Z hasn't gone the extra mile regardless of CGI zombies. In parts the infected were so ridiculous I actually laughed out loud. Other undead films have showcased more gore, more tension, more action and more plot.
Brad Pitt and Daniella Kertesz were on top form, I only wish Kertesz's character Segen could have been introduced earlier and had more of a central role. Alongside their commendable performances I warmed to Tomas (Fabrizio Zacharee Guido) and the Camp Humphreys soldiers. There was also one particular moment when I jumped so much I left my chair. Other than those few points I felt it lacked any real drive or direction. My brain was left suggesting ways in which it could be improved. Whilst writing this review I find myself thinking 'perhaps they could have expanded that idea' but I was not left wanting more at the time.
The film was disappointing but not a total disaster.
2 Stars **
No comments:
Post a Comment