Superman has never held a pole position when it comes to my favourite super heroes. In fact, I've always been a fan of the villains. The characters and costumes always seemed more appealing. Despite good prevailing heroes such as Superman, Spiderman and Batman just didn't do it for me.
When I was growing up I did watch a number of episodes of Superman on television and often felt that anyone fooled by a pair of thick rimmed glasses was ultimately too stupid to consider as a real character. When Smallville hit our screens in 2001 I was curious and sat down to a few episodes but never felt the 'hook' catch. Due to my dismissal of this superhero I skipped viewing Superman Returns (2006).
A teaser trailer for Man of Steel cropped up and without giving much away told me all I needed to know, it was another superhero film based on my least favourite 'alien'. Subsequently, I forgot all about it until the posters began to pop up. An avid fan of modern cinema it dawned on me that perhaps special effects and a revamp could give Superman the push he needed into the twenty first century. Along with the appearance of a familiar face advertising the reinvented Clark Kent I was compelled by a nagging curiosity.
Immortals was undeniably my favourite film of 2011. Recognising Henry Cavill my interest in and reason for watching Man of Steel changed. Sitting in a large leather chair in a pair of oversized plastic glasses I was content that even if I hated the film I would enjoy two hours of Mr Cavill. The certificate vanished, the list of important people and companies came and went and then... I was gone.
Sucked into a world on the path to destruction the opening scene throws you into the thick of Krypton with Russell Crowe as a guide. An epic explosive explanation of the planet ensued. Although a bold statement I have no issue in writing that Man of Steel has one of the best opening scenes I have ever witnessed. And believe me, the rest of the film does not waver. Heart pounding I drank up the visual feast before my eyes as though they'd been closed for too long and gone dry. The action starts and doesn't stop until the credits roll. Intense, captivating and consuming; everything comes together exquisitely.
The cast do not disappoint in their deliverance. Henry Cavill has secured his name as one to be remembered. His face will be plastered over teenage girls bedroom walls and diaries. Superman will be the nations new favourite, despite solid attempts from Christian Bale and Andrew Garfield.
For the male audience I would put my money on Faora-Ul (Antje Traue) taking the lead over Lois Lane. The jet black, figure hugging outfit paired with her furious nature make for a smoldering combination. Again, reiterating that villains have it better.
Recently on screen as notorious contract killer Richard Kuklinski in The Iceman, Michael Shannon swaps his dapper suit for a Gears of War inspired suit of armour. Jumping worlds he retains his lack of empathy for the human race. General Zod (Shannon) and his ever changing beard are another factor to consider in the battle between hero and villain. The fight scenes between General Zod and Superman are nothing short of incredible. Just when you think neither man can give any more they punch back with another attack more violent and destructive than the previous. By the end of this film my stomach and temples were aching from the constant tensing the muscles beneath had endured.
Man of Steel has raised the bar on superhero movies. Any film waiting patiently to be released in 2013 should be quaking in it's reel. If, like me, you are unsure I urge you to go anyway, pay whatever you need to pay because this film will be on everyone's lips for some time. You will not want to miss out on giving your opinion, even if you disagree with my ravings! So, films of 2013- you have big boots to fill!
P.s. Look out for the mention of 'Lex Corp' all you Superman fans, these eagle eyes did not miss it! ;)
5 HUGE Stars *****
No comments:
Post a Comment