Wednesday, 26 September 2012

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Beautiful. In a word.
Did I love it because of the subtle rock 'n' roll vibe? Probably
Did I love it because of the ghosts, ghouls and witch craft? Definitely
Did I love it because of the dark nature? Most definitely
Did I love Cas? Of course, who couldn't.

If ever there was a book written which I felt relatively close to, that wasn't a work of my own, it was this. Cas' dysfunctional relationships and distance from regular life plugs into how everyone feels at some point; Thomas and Carmel to the rescue. Yet he is cool, confident and genuine (most of the time!) Cas is a brilliant character with an aura which captivates and compels the reader.
As with any reader I dream up pictures of the characters in my mind and my imagined Cas is someone I would definitely love to meet, should there be a real person on whom he was based. Some say a strong, powerful and believable protagonist is what makes a book and in Kendare Blake's case I would agree.
I have missed the feeling novels such as Anna Dressed in Blood give me. My only hope is that a series of follow ups will not ruin the joy of the first, as has happened too much with novelists. After Harry Potter, everyone seemed to believe series' would win hearts and earn more money. Aside from the fact they were probably right, they were also very boring. The Morganville series is at the front of my mind when I write this, something which I was mildly interested in but lost faith in half way through book three. Along with the House of Night series which is now waning at books eight and nine. Or, perhaps I just got fed up of vampires and found roots in ghost stories!
Either way Blake conjures up a truly epic haunting tale spattered with blood, romance and friendship. Encasing a clash of the surreal with poetic tragedy this is a must!

No comments:

Post a Comment