I decided not to include these gems on the main post because I had lots to say! I suggests you watch them all!
Dallas Buyers Club: Matthew Mcconaughey wanted to get away from his stereotypical role in rom-coms. This wasn't his first to accomplish a break from the norm (The Lincoln Lawyer, Killer Joe) but it will be the one people remember for some time. Moving, eye opening and raw. Both Mcconaughey and Jared Leto (lead singer of 30 Seconds to Mars) perform unbelievably convincing roles. You may have guessed that I'm not the emotional type but this one made me well up! Tissues at the ready guys. 4.5 Stars *****
Gravity 3D: I have read and heard very mixed reviews on this film, despite it's winning streak at the Oscars. But, as always, it's my turn. Graphically astounding. There is so much going on in this film despite the limited setting and cast. Clooney and Bullock acted for their lives. Even after the film had ended I was playing parts over in my mind and dwelling on the vast nothingness of space. I wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone therefore I won't go into detail but the ending could be viewed in a number of ways. Extremely clever and breathtakingly beautiful. 5 Stars *****
Lego Movie 3D: You may think this an odd addition to my select few films but everybody loves an animation. The Lego Movie had adult humor, a cracking story and some creative characters. So far, I haven't met anyone who disagrees. An original treat for the whole family! 5 Stars *****
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues: Before I begin, let me just tell you I haven't seen the newest addition with extra jokes. Also, I didn't particularly enjoy the first Anchorman (The Legend of Ron Burgundy). However, and this time it's a huge one, I haven't laughed so hard at a film in a very long time. I may come across as mean but my 'things to look out for' during this moving are: the child crying on the beach and the angry woman at the ice skating rink. If you don't find something in this film funny, you have no sense of humor. There is something for everyone- innuendos, dry humor, awkward humor and people getting hurt/upset! 5 Stars *****
300: Rise of an Empire: Another outstanding sequel. Different to the first, darker, heavier on the tactics and fighting. A deeper look into the bigger picture of war. And for the guys...yes there are boobs and yes there is an overly aggressive sex scene.
It was great to see the return of Lena Heady and Rodrigo Santoro and also new additions Sullivan Stapleton and Jack O'Connell joining the fight. With films such as this surfacing I am excited for the remainder of 2014. 5 Stars *****
No comments:
Post a Comment