Wednesday, 24 July 2013

Love for...

In my future reviews I will be incorporating a second judging system. Along with the star rating I will now be adding <3 ('love for') to zone in on a particular element or scene I loved during the movie. It's all just for fun but you can really get an idea for what I like to see or what I am impressed by in a film.

Parker: Lackluster towards the end, felt rushed to finish. The whole film was based around revenge and once it came to it the action could have been better, especially by Jason Statham's standards. J-Lo played a decent role but the lack of romance was frustrating. As usual Statham's American accent didn't hit the mark. He's done better but I believe this was poorly written rather than poorly acted. I wanted more blood, more fights and more sex. 
<3 knife through hand shot <3 
1 Star *

Frozen Ground: One of Nicholas Cage's better acting performances, John Cusack's role was also executed brilliantly. The film itself was a slow burner and again felt rushed towards the end when everything falls into place a little too quickly. Vanessa Hudgens over sold this part, swearing unnecessarily and trying too hard to prove she can be something other than a disney channel child star. Intriguing because it's based on true events the film is disturbing but lacked any real brutality. 
2 Stars **

Identity Thief: Laugh out loud funny, echos of Due Date, entertaining and incredibly silly. I was surprised by Jason Bateman, usually his characters really irritate me in some ay but I warmed to him much more in this role. 
<3 throat punches <3
3.5 Stars ****

Monsters University: Not as good as the first one, it was inevitable! A feel good family friendly fun film with loveable characters and a heart warming story. As with Monsters Inc the story is very strong but I felt the comedy lacked a little because of that in this prequel. 
<3 the slug & falling disco ball <3
3 Stars ***

Despicable Me 2: The minions return an they are in full force! Again the first one will always be one of a kind but this sequel is a commendable follow up. The world is in danger once again and Gru is involved as usual, but this time he's on the right side. Juggling saving the world with his three girls and a new partner everything seems to be going wrong. Lots of laughs, great animation and minions. What more could you ask for? (More 3D, more Agnes and more gadgets?) Good but not great.
<3 'sorry didn't see you there', 'didn't see you again' <3
<3 'my momma wipes my boogas' <3
3.5 Stars ****

Jack the Giant Slayer: A thoroughly family film. A dose of action, a drop of cheese and some pretty nifty CGI stirred together with a splash of romance and heroism. Exactly what you'd expect. Not really my cup of tea but not unbearable.
<3 Bill Nighy's voice <3
3 Stars ***

I Love You Phillip Morris: I knew what this film was about, I knew it was based on true events, I knew the cast and yet it totally surprised me. Odd, funny and completely outrageous in parts. Jim Carey and Ewan Mcgregor prove their versatility in acting.
<3 Rodrigo Santoro <3
2.5 Stars ***

The Conjuring: One of the BEST horror films of 2013. Packed full of old school tension and creepy music. Another script based on true events making it all the more terrifying. The actual haunting comes in early but is slow in progression. Brilliant build up and the ending doesn't disappoint. Definitely worth a watch...just maybe not on your own!
<3 Vera Farmiga <3
<3 Joey King's convincing terror <3
5 Stars *****

Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters: Before I go any further, I have not seen Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, which may effect my judgement. However *insert huge sigh* this was a complete and utter waste of my life. I hated every minute of it from the terrible acting to the horrendous plot line right up to the portrayal of mystical beings. As a fan of mythology I am ashamed to have made my eyes subject to this monstrosity of cinema.
And what kind of a name is Percy, really? It's 2013 for goodness sake!
0 Stars, nope, not one.

Only God Forgives: Ryan Gosling delivers once again. I love films such as Oldboy and other Tartan Asian films and admit apprehension in viewing an American take on the style. I was not disappointed and thoroughly enjoyed the viewing experience...now to watch this Drive everyones so mad about!
<3 Ryan Gosling (let's face it, which girl doesn't?) <3
5 Stars *****



No comments:

Post a Comment