Monday, 3 October 2011

Killer Elite

On entering the cinema screen to watch Killer Elite I was surprised to find it was based on a true story. I would like to say that this is the reason why I came out feeling robbed of two hours of my life. Often, movies based on true events either don't quite reach the mark, or are so elaborate you can only assume they are very lightly based on truth.


Noting from posters that this film was starring Robert De Niro, Clive Owen and Jason Statham I pushed to find time to see it as soon as possible, allowing myself to watch it even before Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Despite the stigma Statham receives about his similar roles and cheesy films (I am talking specifically about crank here) I absolutely love his movies, as do most people looking for an easy action movie to watch which requires no thought! As for Clive Owen, his movies usually require a little more thinking but with action titles such as Shoot 'Em Up under his belt I was holding out for something epic. Robert De Niro's roles and acting skills need no explanation as to why anyone should love them.


Unfortunately, having three great action actors in one movie seems to drain it of any substance. The action was minimal and somewhat lackluster, there was far too much speaking involved, Robert De Niro was made to look inferior to the younger actors and for the entire duration of the film the only thought going through my mind when looking at Clive Owen was how I would love to rip that pathetic excuse of a mustache from his face.


Perhaps my disappointment entailed due to how much I played the scenes up in my mind. I wanted ruthless violence, endless chases and fight scenes, bombs, guns and girls. The movie was a little more serious than I expected and a lot more tedious. Perhaps it is also due to the claims the actors have in older films and roles and our expectations ride on that which we have already visually consumed. Unfortunately this was definitely not a film on which, in years to come, people will let their expectations ride.


*** 2.5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment